Archive for April, 2011

MacHg 0.9.21 released!

I am happy to announce that I have just released MacHg 0.9.21.

You can get the latest MacHg from the downloads, and you can view the latest release notes here.

In MacHg 0.9.21 I think I have finally fixed the various NSTask related problems. Previously NSTask would intermittently hang, or just drop tasks. But only fairly occasionally. I had gotten to the stage where I could reproduce the problems in small code samples and had sent these small projects to the cocoa-dev list. Finally I have managed to fix things by switching to a drop in replacement of NSTask called TLMTask written by Adam R. Maxwell (who writes the TeX Live Utility) (Adam has been extremely helpful in private emails about issues to do with TLMTask,)

So this completes the promise in the last blog post. There are currently no critical bugs I am aware of stopping me releasing MacHg 1.0.0. I will see if any problems crop up in the wild with MacHg 0.9.21 and if not this latest version will become version 1.0.0!

Cheers, Jason

[Update : fixed Adam’s name as Adam pointed out]

Comments (2)

MacHg 0.9.20 released!

I am happy to announce that I have just released MacHg 0.9.20.

You can get the latest MacHg from the downloads, and you can view the latest release notes here.

MacHg 0.9.20 now continually reports the progress of long running operations such as clone, push, pull, incoming, and outgoing; adds an ‘Open With…’ menu item; adds a ‘Scroll to Changeset…’ menu in all log views; updates the bundled Mercurial to 1.8.2; and includes a number of other fixes and enhancements.

I really like the new ‘Scroll to Changeset’ feature. You can just hit cmd-L to go to any changeset and it’s available anywhere you see a list of changesets. Having progress for long running operations is also something that has been requested for a long time. With the NSTask changes in recent versions of MacHg this has now been possible.

Unfortunately, MacHg is still having very occasional and intermittent quirks with NSTask. After several posts to cocoa-dev and some examples posted there where NSTask is just dropping tasks I am investigating other options in ernest. I can’t go MacHg 1.0.0 until I fix this, but happily I have another option on the horizon right now.

In my testing this new alternative is working almost perfectly. I haven’t seen any dropped NSTask’s at all. However, the progressive progress updates that I just added in MacHg 0.9.20 are not yet working with this alternative method. Once I have this last kink ironed out, I will hopefully be releasing another version of MacHg very shortly (within the week) which fixes the very occasional and intermittent missing or hung NSTasks.

Cheers, Jason

Leave a Comment