MacHg 0.9.7

Yesterday I launched MacHg 0.9.7. Its quite a nice release if I do say so myself. I am quickly closing in on 1.0.0 which I will announce to the world. (So far I have just announced these release on the Mercurial mailing lists, not version tracker, cnet, iusethis, etc.)

Only some more minor bug fixes remain, and there are no substantial problems I am aware of in the functionality of MacHg. Thats a good thing! I still of course have many plans for MacHg beyond 1.0, like hunk level control in the commit dialog and a staging area like gitx has. (I like this feature of gitx but maybe would like to be able to do this through a visual diff rather than just hunk control.) Also on the cards is drag and drop patch control, and annotation on steroids.

11 Comments »

1. M4v3R Said,

June 16, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Hello,

I just started using MacHg yesterday, and I like it :). I’m missing “Open with…” command so I can open every file from MacHg in my editor of choice, but apart of that it’s great. Keep up the good work!

2. Daenney Said,

June 23, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

I have a little issue with MacHG 0.9.7 I would consider a bug. For some reason, when the app is loaded OS X switches from my built-in Intel HD Graphics to the GT330M and switches back (thankfully) when I quit MacHG.

This really seems odd to me. Fair enough MacHG is a fancy app but it shouldn’t need an GT330M for its UI. This would also have a slightly negative effect on the battery-life of my laptop as I do a lot of work on the go.

3. jason Said,

June 23, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

Actually this is an OSX thing. MacHg uses core graphics and other apple technologies so the decision to do this switching is a pure operating system one. Nothing that MacHg does… 🙂

4. Daenney Said,

June 23, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

Hmm damn, that’s pretty stupid… When I tell gfxCardStatus to just stick to Intel it works fine indeed. Even better, it has no problem with h264-files too on the Intel and I haven’t found another app except for true graphics processing that actually switches to nVidia…

It seems weird though. I mean there are enough apps out there that use the core graphics and other Apple API’s but I’ve never seen them trigger a gfx-change for pure UI stuff.

5. jason Said,

June 23, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

Hmmm… Interesting. Go ahead and re-report this (as a non-anonymous person 🙂 ). Do you want to dig into this? I can’t reproduce it since I only have the single graphics card, but someone else reported the same problem once before to me. Thus it would really help if you can figure out at least at which stage of the launch the switch over occurs… Thanks, Jason

6. Daenney Said,

June 23, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

I’m getting XCode on my machine was we speak. I hope there’s a way I can step through the runtime at launch and see what happens. Can you give me any pointers to what I could be looking for?

What I can tell you is that when I start MacHg I start it without a window showing and it stays on Intel. The minute I hit Command+N to get a window drawn the switch occurs.

7. jason Said,

June 23, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

Thanks… Can we move this to the bitbucket tracker? Can you open a new report there under a non-anonymous person… (ie you 🙂 and we will take it from there…)

8. Mecki Said,

August 9, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

Great tool. The hg version inside is a bit out of date, but otherwise really well done. Best UI wrapper for hg I’ve seen so far (across all platforms). I have just one feature request: The dialogs that open to show you the summary of several operations are pretty annoying. I know that you can disable them in the prefs, but they are very informative, too. Instead of dialogs that somewhere pop-up on the screen, how about using sheets instead? Sheets are bound to the windows and IMHO one of the OS X killer features. A sheet is much nicer than a dialog in 90% of all cases. Okay, you cannot display more than one sheet at once, this is a drawback, however, displaying more than one dialog (be it modal or not) is pretty ugly, too, so this is not really a big drawback. Keep up the good work. I’m personally more a command line fans, but for everyone who is not, this is for sure a great tool.

9. David Collantes Said,

August 23, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

Thank you for the excellent tool. I look forward to see what the future brings to it. I was looking for a nice Git app, when I came across yours. Suffice it to say, I will be using Mercurial instead.

Cheers!

10. David Collantes Said,

August 24, 2010 @ 1:49 am

One comment, is there any reason why “clone” and “merge” icons are labeled all in lowercase, while the others have the initial letter capitalized?

11. David Collantes Said,

August 25, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

Regarding my previous comment, the latest version have all labels correctly. Can’t praise this tool enough, please provide a link to donate. Thanks!